The Paine Kids

Sunday 9 June 2013

What suits me best?



Every man should have a suit. A plain and simple statement that may get people debating that suits are not mandatory in our modern lives. I tend to disagree.

I foolishly bought my first suit when I was 19. Foolish you say? I had not finished growing and the pants only fit properly for about 2 years, the jacket is still serviceable but tight over the shoulders. Never the less, that suit was worn on a good number of occasions, including a wedding and a formal 21st party.

When I bought that suit I learned some basic lessons on fit and so on. A suit needs to fit properly. I have no interest in how much you paid for it, if your R20 000 suit does not fit well you have wasted your money. A R500 suit that is fitted properly can look better than a R5 000 suit which is too big or small.

One way to look at it is that a suit is like armour, social armour if you like. When it fits properly and is in a style that is appropriate to your build then you are filled with confidence.  

I will not go into details over style and fit now, I can discuss that later, but my point is that the suit is not dead. Just ask Harvey Specter.

1 comment:

  1. Suits are awesome - I always find any excuse to wear them. Got some french cuffs and cuff links and join the super pretentious team. ;)

    ReplyDelete